Saturday, July 20, 2013

PRTG - Sweet Network Monitoring/Free Bandwidth Monitor

In this blog I plan to have some mustings about my weekend tinkering with my home network. Todady's post is on PTRG.

So I spent the whole day trying to setup a decent bandwidth monitor on my router. Years ago I used to use Tomato which had a great little tool built in but upgrades in internet connectivity meant that the WAN to LAN throughput of my old Buffalo Tomato router didn't cut it. Mean while I had also added a second backup ADSL line to my primary Cable line.

I tried googling SNMP bandwidth monitor and a few tools came up. But all were cumbersome to setup, required too much tweaking and installing pearl.

Enter PRTG. It just automatically scans your network for any SNMP capable devices so my Draytek was discovered. It instantly listed all my interfaces and I could now see live bandwidth reports and plot historical ones too.

Brilliant tool to complement any SNMP router for the home!
mysql monitoring


No comments:

Post a Comment